Monday, February 20, 2012

Linked Server to Indexing Service

Hello,

I have a problem... I need to create a linked server to an indexing service. I am trying to create the linked server through Enterprise Manager for SQL Server. The indexing service that I am trying to link to is located on a different server than the SQL Server database that will contain the linked server.

I don't know anything about creating a linked server. All my attempts have resulted in errors. I don't know the Provider Name, Product Name, Data Source, Provider String, Location, Catalog that needs to be used. I also don't have any clue as to setting the Security Options or the Server Options for the linked server.

Another thing, where is an explanation of how to set up a linked server. I tried SQL Server Books Online but I can't make heads or tails of it.

Thank you,
HeatherLook up sp_addlinkedserver in Books Online. There is an example of an Indexing Service linked server.|||Thanks. I've looked at the SQL Server Books Online and have done what is suggested. I still could not get any success. I think it's because the database server and the index server are on completely different machines.

Heather|||Be sure the account your SQL Server is running under has permission to connect to the other machine. The SYSTEM account does not have permission to see the network, so if you are using that, you have little chance of success. You can try changing it to run using your domain account to see if it will fix the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment